Friday, May 24, 2024
HomeMuslim WorldAfricaMOROCCO EARTHQUAKE: nearly $12bn earmarked for quake recovery

MOROCCO EARTHQUAKE: nearly $12bn earmarked for quake recovery

Marrakesh, 21 Sep: Morocco plans to spend more than $11bn for reconstruction after an earthquake hit its Atlas mountain region, killing more than 2,900 people and injuring thousands more, reported Middle East Eye yesterday.

The funds would be used to “rehouse affected people, reconstruct homes and restore infrastructure”, said the statement published at the end of a meeting chaired by King Mohammed VI on Wednesday.  The government said the funds would help 4.2 million inhabitants affected by the quake over a period of five years.

The earthquake razed thousands of homes in central Morocco, including the High Atlas mountain range, forcing families to sleep out in the open with winter around the corner.

Rural communities, which are accustomed to traditional lifestyles and are largely detached from modern ways of living, were some of the hardest hit, particularly as their homes were simple in design. Many crumbled as soon as the earthquake struck, Middle East Eye previously reported.

The worst-hit areas are the provinces of Al Haouz; Chichaoua; Taroudant; Marrakesh; Ouarzazate; and Azizlal.

Morocco’s Atlas mountain region has become a hub for adventure travel and hiking. Its ancient mud-brick villages are a big draw for visitors. The kingdom has invested heavily in tourism. This year tourist arrivals were up by 92 percent compared with the same period of 2022.

The US Geological Survey recently estimated that the quake could wipe out eight percent of Morocco’s gross domestic product.

RELATED ARTICLES
Donate

Latest Posts